Enterprise Development Institute (EDI) is a not-for-profit registered society promoted by Bengal National Chamber of Commerce & Industry (BNCCI) jointly with the Government of West Bengal for strengthening entrepreneurship and small enterprise development activities in West Bengal. The Ministry of Small Scale Industries, Government of India has also come forward to help the Institute to achieve its goals. EDI is registered under the West Bengal Societies Registration Act, 1961 on March 15, 1999. It was initially operating from BNCCI at 23, R. N. Mukherjee Road, Kolkata – 700001 but now EDI is housed at IB-194, Sector – III, Salt Lake, Kolkata – 700 106.
The BNCCI, the oldest indigenous Chamber of Commerce and Industry in India was set up in 1887. It has all along been playing an important role as a promoter and facilitator for growth and development of industry, trade and commerce, particularly in West Bengal. BNCCI has always stressed on promotion of entrepreneurship so as to help the entrepreneurial base in the country. In order to achieve this objective BNCCI had set up a Business Career Service Centre in 1958 to encourage the spirit of entrepreneurship, to identify potential entrepreneurs, and also to provide requisite guidance to young people to set up their own business ventures. Since then, BNCCI has since been extending support to the prospective entrepreneurs through organizing entrepreneurship training, counselling, providing technical and follow-up support. BNCCI constituted an Entrepreneurship Development Standing Committee to carry out regular programmes in Kolkata and in various districts of West Bengal. Such programmes were supported by some State as well Central Governmental organizations. For giving more emphasis on enterprise and entrepreneurship development, BNCCI jointly with the Government of West Bengal promoted Enterprise Development Institute as a non-profit registered society in March 1999. The Institute started functioning from the BNCCI premises at Kolkata. EDI’s new 5-storied building at Salt Lake was inaugurated in April 20, 2010.
- To create awareness among various target groups on entrepreneurial opportunities;
- To encourage and assist in setting up enterprises by individuals focusing on first generation entrepreneurs through appropriate training, which includes inputs, like Behavioural Motivation, Managerial Competencies and selective technical skill;
- To formulate & conduct Enterprise Management Training for owners/ managers of small & medium enterprises;
- To help and assist unemployed youth both educated and uneducated – urban and rural in acquiring skills for both wage & self-employment;
- To encourage and promote research & special studies on various aspects of entrepreneurship and small & medium enterprises, market surveys, potentiality surveys, technical feasibility and economic viability studies;
- To formulate proposal for new units and rehabilitation of sick units;
- To organize vocational training for skill up-gradation including establishment of vocational training centres;
- To spread entrepreneurial education at the school and college level;
- To develop resource maps of West Bengal for the aspiring entrepreneurs
- Registration No.: S/93603 of 1998-99 under W.B. Societies Registration Act, 1961
- PAN: AAATE1130F
- GSTIN: 19AAATE1130F1Z9
- Donations to “ENTERPRISE DEVELOPMENT INSTITUTE” are eligible for deduction u/s 80G of the Income Tax Act, 1961 (Approval accorded vide M.No. DIT(E)/8E/145/01-02/2373-2375 Dt. 22/11/2012); Bank Details: ENTERPRISE DEVELOPMENT INSTITUTE, Current Account No.: 20113248957; ALLAHABAD BANK, Salt Lake GD Market Branch, GD 377 and 378, Sector – III, West Bengal – 700 106; IFS Code: ALLA0212491
- Audit Report for 2017-18 (Click here)